Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 4 ~ Durham

DURHAM, NC

I got to Durham about 5:00 PM after driving through lots of thunderstorms.  It was cooling off, thank heavens as I am a known hot weather wimp.  Barbara arrived from work and we had some wine and chat before heading to her place.  It's a great 'loft' condo.  I will post some photos later - the light was going and she had to go to work early today.  BUT, fun never ends, as you know.  Here's the gentlemen's club in the rear of her building:


CHICKEN & WAFFLES

Eat your heart out, Northerners.  Ed told me about this place right downstairs from Barbara's condo, so I had to try it out, of course.  Dee-licious!  Who knew???  Real maple syrup (though not from VT and blander than ours), but the food was, shall I say exotic?  Yep.


I read an interesting article this morning about perceptions about the South.  After "Wolf Hall" I plan to listen to  "American Nations; A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America" by Colin Woodward.

It looks like I won the lottery in the weather department.  Sources say that after 85°F and thunderstorms this afternoon, the temperature in Charleston will be between 65 and 80 during my stay.  Even I can live happily with that, considering the alternatives.  I got a pedicure before I left VT, the first one in nearly a year - aren't you proud of me?

Before setting out I went over to visit my brother Dick, his wife Ginny and my two handsome nephews Henry and Richard in Raleigh.  We had fun catching then went over to the deli where Richard works for lunch.  If I roll back into Vermont weighing 300 pounds, don't blame me!  Everywhere I go people press regional favorite foods on me.  This time it was a fried green tomato BLT which included pimiento cheese.  Yum!


Waddling to the car now, headed south.  So, why Charleston, you ask?  Why in April instead of January, a far safer month for a heat-phobe like myself?  Well, my dear friend Pat (henceforth known in this blog as "Mrs. B") was coming the SC from Albuquerque.  We've been friends since 1969 and rarely get to see each other since I moved back to New England from the Southwest.  She's flying in tonight and we'll meet up at the condo we've rented.  More tomorrow!




No comments: