Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Beach

During a conversation with Donna yesterday I got the distinct impression my friends think I am incapable of enjoying a beach!  Well, I do slink from shade to shade, it's true, and slather myself with sunscreen and my favorite chair is the one Dineen gave me with a fabulous cobra-like hood to keep me out of the S-U-N, BUT  Mrs. B and I ventured to the beach yesterday and I loved it, dammit!


Blame it on the Bloody Marys we started out with!  From the deck of The Tides on Folly Beach, we sipped and enjoyed the gentle surf and people-watched from the pier before heading over to Locklear's for lunch.

My nephew Richard told me I had to try the Shrimp & Grits - it's one word here, shrimpngrits.  I was leery.  I've watched My Cousin Vinny, but that's as close as I had ever come to actual grits.


So, here they are at Locklear's Beach City Grill.  With bacon, bell peppers, garlic, mushrooms and cheddar ~ what's not to like?  Served with cornmeal cakes and tomato jelly, this dish was a delight and I'm sure it was calorie-free.

Mrs. B says she really feels like she's on vacation when she's walking on a beach looking for shells.  So we walked off the shrimpngrits on a nice stretch a couple of miles down the road from the Folly Beach hotels.


We spent about an hour just strolling, then reclined on deck chairs for a while in the beautiful cool breeze off the water.  I had thought I might read (or listen to) a book, but the sound of the waves was too enchanting.  I wish Vermont had an ocean (and one big city), then I'd never have to leave.

2 comments:

ExpressionsByDonna said...

Gillian, no you do not wish Vermont had an ocean!! Then EVERYONE would move here!! Plus it gives us something to vacation to!!

ExpressionsByDonna said...

Gillian, NO you don't want an ocean in Vermont. Then EVERYONE would move here!! Plus it makes for a nice vacation to visit the ocean. Lake Champlain is perfect to tide you over!!