Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bagels, Anyone?

I was born in Dallas, Texas (which, BTW, I hope to help Turn Blue in the near future) and lived all over the country and overseas with my family.  But I don't remember ever having a bagel until I was 26!  You have to remember, for a long time bagels were 'ethnic food' and didn't begin their palate takeover outside big cities and Jewish households until the 1980s.  Plus, my mother didn't like them: "Boiled dough??  Why would I want to eat boiled dough?"  So we never had them and were similarly deprived of avocados!


But Burlington, Vermont is home to some excellent bagel makers and one of my favorites is Meyers Bagel Bakery where the big brick oven turns out dense, crusty, chewy Montreal style hand rolled delights all day long.  My grandkids (along with every other young person and child I know) are bagel lovers and at trip to the bakery is always a hit.


OK.  Our tummies are filled, now on to visit the new dinosaur exhibit at the ECHO Center.

Gigantosaurus, w-a-a-a-y bigger than T-Rex is on display with lots of bones, robotic creatures and interactive learning games.

The displays are scary enough that A & L wouldn't go near the animated dinos until our second trip to the exhibit!

Check it out thru September 2nd.


No comments: